Skip to content

I Pledge…

May 11, 2009

georgiatechrecyclingThis is the recycling pledge that Georgia Tech has written to show students their environmental responsibilities. I think its great that Tech has these expectations of their students…but through a pledge? It sounds like a girlscout’s pledge.  With Cindy Jackson as head of the recycling department, Tech has a very extensive program compared to other schools. However, I think most students aren’t aware of this! There are so many facilities available (even a computer recycling service). More info available at the Tech recycling website.

I don’t know if recycling-awareness techniques have changed in the past 5 months since I have been away, but with some changes recycling at tech could be more successful. As part of this project, I have have been thinking of ways to bring what I have learned back to Tech. I think its really important to have organic compost to reduce food waste in landfills. It is definitely a lifestyle change though. I am going to have a chat with Cindy…

Hey Tech kids– would you be willing to participate in a composting program? if it was logistically worked out, basically you would collect food waste in a seperate bin and need to deposit it somewhere periodically where it would be taken to a given composting site. Would it be hard? Easy? What do you think? Please post your answer/comments/concerns… maybe it will happen!

About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. Swathi permalink
    May 11, 2009 14:07

hey krystal!

I would love love love to have a compost at tech. I think making it easily accessible and raising awareness of the importance composting could make a big difference. I would definitely use it.

Also, there’s an a group at tech called Students Organizing for Sustainability (SOS). I’ve been a little involved in it, and I think they’re also trying to get a compost at tech.

here’s the site: http://www.sos.gatech.edu/node/14

hope you’re doing well!

2. Jon Wu permalink
    May 11, 2009 20:01

I think the idea of a compost site is great. I’ve always been conscious of the environment and how I can improve the world in which we live. The compost would be a perfect way for students all across campus to contribute to making the world a better place to live.

Thanks for all your hard work Krystal!

3. Adam permalink
    May 11, 2009 20:01

I think it is a great idea… but organic compost does tend to smell kinda gross. It’s all about easiness. I think I’d participate if there was a receptacle at each residence hall but then you still have the smell problem. I dunno. I think it’s a noble idea though; it could definitely decrease landfill mass.

4. May 11, 2009 23:30

I think if Tech came up with a composting program, it would be interesting to see how many students would actually want to be a part of it. I dont believe that there are many students who actually recycle in Tech’s college dorms, let alone students who would actually go through the work of putting all their compost aside in their apartment. If this does not bring a roommate conflict because of the smell and fruit flies that it will cause, it will most likely be a forgettable task to some, thanks to the already-installed food crushing machine that all Tech apartments have on the sink drains. If properly advertised, the composting project would probably be really attractive to many students tho. I would love to be part of a project like this, especially since we live in a big city, where there is enough damage done to the environment already. Hopefully through a project like this one, and thanks to people like Krystal, the Tech campus could be of more help to our environment!

5. Colleen Jordan permalink
    May 12, 2009 10:20

Hej Hej!
    Here’s the information on organic farming methods using compost:

It’s called the seed ball technique, used by the Native Americans.

And about this pledge… It does sound like a Girl Scout thing. Should I raise my right hand and swear to it? It looks like their only making it to seem like things are getting done. Is it published with a map on locations of where to recycle?

6. cris permalink
    May 20, 2009 21:45

I agree that it would be awesome to have it at tech. It would be great if along with the recycling receptacles on each floor of some of the buildings, and easily accessible to the ones that don’t, if there was some place outside of the room to store it, or just in general some way to keep it out of the living area. I think that that is one big problem that a lot of people have with composting in general: people like comfort. Flies and funny smells don’t equal out to comfort, therefore it isn’t desirable!!